Thursday, June 18, 2009

One year ago this Sunday:

Aja was admitted into Primary Children's Hospital to get her shunt placed. This has been such a roller coaster of a year and at times very emotional. The day Mitch and I went to the doctors, I remember us holding hands as we waited in the waiting room both of us anxious to find out what was going on with our baby. I remember us holding our little girl and crying after seeing her CT scan. They wouldn't let Mitch and I both stay at the hospital so it was just me, and I remember wandering the halls because I couldn't sleep and I was scared. What a crazy experience!

After her surgery and she was brought home, I went through a really tough time. It was hard to just even function. Looking back, I think it was so hard because everything happened SO quick and there wasn't time to process anything. We hadn't heard any "good" stories of shunt placements and they told me that I had to hold her at a 45 degree angle for 2 weeks so her brain wouldn't collapse in on itself. I was a nervous wreck, and honestly I analyzed EVERYTHING. So there I sat in my rocking chair, not doing a whole lot until I finally took a look in the mirror (realized how horrible I looked) and told myself that being how I was wasn't doing anyone any good.

So here we are today, and I'm happy to say that both Aja and our family have come out of this stronger. Aja is the most amazing little girl. She acts like any typical toddler. As for me, I KNOW I've changed, and I know that it has been for the better. That little girl is my little hip monkey and I thank Heavenly Father every day for the opportunity to be her mom. We are eternally thankful to family and friends who have been there to lend a helping hand and a listening ear.

And of course a pic. This is one of my favorite pictures of Aja even though she's in the bath.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You are an a amazing mom, Monique. I like to read about your experiences with your kids. It gives me hope that I can be a better mom - your kids are so blessed to have you. That little Aja is such a doll!

Janita said...

She is such a gorgeous girl - her eyes are beautiful!