Friday, February 26, 2010

Heroes:

This week I have been thinking a lot about who my heroes are, or people that I really admire, and there are many, but there are a couple of people who really stick out in my mind.

I don't even know her, but she is the most strong, humble, spiritual and faithful person I "know". Truly, a beautiful person inside and out. Her name is Jess and last February she had to do what all of us parent's fear the most and that was to put her trust in the Lord and watch her beautiful baby girl pass away. Little Cora had been diagnosed with cancer and passed away just a little over two weeks after that diagnosis. It was the most heart breaking post to read. Seriously. I cry every time I read her blog.

But what I really admire about Jess is her unwavering faith. While Cora was in the hospital she would post praises of what good had happened that day and then at the end she would post a Bible passage and it was always so fitting. Simply amazing. Yes, she had posts about hard days, but they always ended with how she trusted Him and loved Him. Inspiring? I say YES.

If you want to follow her blog go here: Cora

Another person who I consider one of the best people I have ever had the privilege of knowing is Kelly Stoker. He was my dad's best friend. Kelly passed away Christmas eve due to a tragic accident. I've known the Stoker's for a very long time and at one point they were like my second family. Kelly was a very well respected ENT and just an all around good guy. He and my dad caused a lot of mischief around the neighborhood. There were a lot of practical jokes played by both parties, whether it was spray-painting a big 'Y' on our lawn when BYU beat Utah in football, to switching out BYU and Utah fan license plates to even ramming one of those tail-pipe whistles using a GOLF CLUB...you always knew who it was. Kelly was also the most kind man you would ever meet. He was always willing to lend a hand.

Kelly's funeral was truly a celebration of his life. It was amazing. I never cried so hard, but it also sealed my resolve to be the best person that I could be. There were a couple of General Authorities there to speak about Kelly like: President Eyring, Elder Hales and Elder Bednar. There were also a couple people from the Quorum of the Seventy. It was simply amazing. All of the Stoker's are amazing people. Kim, Kelly's wife, posted this little saying on her FaceBook along with some pictures from Kelly's memorial. I love it.

No comments: