Monday, February 22, 2010

To Answer Some Questions:

To answer some questions that I have been asked lately. The answer is

YES.

I did indeed have a tummy tuck and augmentation. Now, since having that done I've noticed that everyone has a different opinion on the whole "taboo" subject of plastic surgery. I've had some people express envy and I've actually had one person stop talking to me completely(someone who I thought was a pretty good friend too).

So in order to "clear the air" with people I've decided to blog about it.

Why did I get it?
Hmmm..I'm 5'0, had 4 kids, had no intentions of having more kids, and noticed that no matter how hard I worked out there was always going to be a tummy there. Also, I had a severely herniated belly-button so I figured while they are fixing that, why not fix what bothers me the most?

Did it hurt?
I can honestly say that it was NOT that bad. Sure, there were moments of discomfort, but compared to being pregnant..it was NOT that bad. I would say my only complaint is the fact that I had to walk bent over for 2 weeks before standing up straight. My back was killing me! Oh yeah..and getting your drains pulled out is not all that fun either but that is a short-lived inconvenience.

How much did it cost and where did you get the money for it?
None of your business.

How big is your scar?
It goes from hip to hip. You can't see it. The only people who have seen it are Mitch and people who I have shown it to.

Do you regret it?
Uhhh...NO! I thought long and hard about my decision to "go under the knife". I knew it was something that I always wanted to do once I was done having kids. I was not one of the "lucky" ones to have everything bounce back. Short people have it TOUGH when they are pregnant!! Only one place for the baby to go and that is straight out! Sure there were risks, but there are risks with everything you do. Luckily, I didn't have any issues and have healed up just fine.

Why couldn't you be happy with what the Lord gave you?
This is where the differences of opinion come in. I had one person straight up ask me this question. So here is my answer and sorry if it offends but this is how I feel. The Lord blessed me with four beautiful kids that I wouldn't trade for anything, but with those kids came a body that I was not happy with. I did not start out with a stretched out tummy. I started out with a flat tummy, no gastric reflux and no herniated belly-button. So I got it fixed. I have found NOTHING on the Internet, Bible, or Book of Mormon to suggest that plastic surgery is wrong.

So I say to you: If you don't agree with my decision then fine. We are different people and differences in people are what make the world an interesting place to be. I'm not going to think of you differently. In fact, I welcome people's opinions on it, but don't push your agenda on me because I'm probably going to see it a completely different way.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Well, for the record, I am one of those envious people. :) I thought it was an interesting explanation and I, for one, think that you have the right to choose what to do with your body. I'm glad it has made you feel wonderful and from someone else whose body has not "just bounced back," a flat tummy would be revolutionary! Thanks for telling it like it is.

*Star said...

I am Adrian's wife. Thank you SO MUCH for posting about this. I have been asking him to send you a message about how it went, but he is busy and it appears did not get around to it.

I think your decision is AWESOME!!! I too am 5'0" and also have four kids. I can completely relate to babies only go one direction. :)

I think everyone deserves to be happy with their body and if you are happy then no one has any right to tell you that you were wrong in your decision.

I plan on getting surgery next year too!! Any recommendations and information you could give me it would be greatly appreciated. The internet has a ton of info, but you are the first person I know who has actually done it and I can ask questions to.

Kristi said...

Woman, you know I think you're awesome right? Your honesty is one of the reasons I love being your friend.