Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bought the kids dentist a new car yesterday...

So, as I have mentioned before, Cohen has really bad teeth. He was born with no enamel and has pitted dentin. So no matter what I do, the kid will always have cavities. We waited until his two-year-old molars finished coming in and then I made the appointment. Since they didn't know the extent of decay to his teeth, they wanted to put him under general anesthesia and do all the work that would need to be done. I had to starve him of course, but what really sucks is he didn't get to go in until 2 in the afternoon! It's hard keeping a little munch mouth like him out of the pantry. I had to move all the food to the top two shelves so that I could ensure that he didn't eat anything. He was quite a pathetic sight all day long. He even begged me for water. It was so sad.

Since Mitch wasn't able to be there to give him a blessing, I told Cohen I would say a little prayer for him. He sat there very quietly and folded his arms and listened. He even said "amen" which was really surprising to me as he's never said that one before. Also, I was sitting there holding him before he left I said "I love you, Cohen" AND..I got an "love you, mommy" before he left!! I sat there and bawled. Those were the words I've been dying to hear from him for the longest time. The ones I was afraid I would never hear and he said them clear as day!

Are you ready for this? The poor kid got 8 caps and had to have a root canal done! I was so sad for him.

In the car ready to go! The kid has no idea what he is in for.
Photobucket

All dressed in his little outfit.
Photobucket

Coloring while we wait. He looked so little to me.
Photobucket

I don't think you want to see the after pictures. His mouth looks really gross right now. He seems to be doing alright though. His tooth which he had the root canal done on is bothering him a bit, so I'm hoping that here in a few days he will start feeling better.

4 comments:

Janita said...

That would be so hard to not let them eat all day! I am so glad he made it through okay - he does look so small on that table. It is so sweet that he said I love you, that must have felt wonderful! What stress you are always going through - you are a great mom!

weloveadoption said...

I can't believe it. That is horrible that he has to go through all that at such a young age. I am so excited that he said I love you to you. I would have been crying too. Hope you guys are doing well.

lacey said...

Poor little guy. Sounds like he was quite the trooper. Hopefully he'll recover fast. At least he's little enough that he won't remember after awhile...and hold it against you. I hate when they have to get shots and they look at you, like you just broke their hearts... so sad! And then talk about it for a week, and remind you how mean you are.

Marcie said...

Poor little guy! It would kill me to have JD go through that! I hope he's doing better now. I'm so excited for you that he said I love you, that's my favorite thing to hear from my kids.