Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April is Autism Awareness Month!

*taken from medicalnewstoday.com*

Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the U.S., affecting 1 in 150 children. Every 20 minutes, a child is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Autism is more common than juvenile diabetes, childhood cancer and AIDS combined.

Classified as a severe neurodevelopmental disorder with early childhood onset, the symptoms produce significant impairments in social, communicative, cognitive and behavioral functioning.

There are no cures for autism, but pharmacological, behavioral and psychosocial interventions can change the course of the disorder. Some of the current treatment options include occupational therapy, dietary restrictions, sensory integration therapy and speech therapy, with most interventions featuring highly structured educational programs aimed at improving communication and social skills.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an important month this is for our family. It brings back the memories of when I started seeing my "red flags" for Cohen. I can remember when he stopped talking completely,when he would sit in the corner and play by himself, how he would never cry when I left actually he showed no emotions whatsoever,when he didn't cry when he fell down. It was heart-breaking for me. It still is. Especially when we have our hard days. When Cohen can't do anything but sit there and flex, and I can't get him to stop no matter what I try to divert his attention with. Cohen's diagnosis has been such an emotional rollercoaster, but I am so thankful for this little boy. He has taught me patience, understanding and acceptance. I wouldn't change him at all. I'm so thankful for the many therapists that come to our home and "teach" both Cohen and me. I'm so thankful for the ABC class that we attend weekly. It has helped Cohen so much and has helped me know how to "play" with Cohen. What a blessing. I truly believe that we were meant to come to Logan and be close to the CPD for this reason.

Photobucket

No comments: