Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Our first ABC Session-P.L.A.Y.

Today, Mitch and I attended Cohen's first P.L.A.Y. session (Play and Language for Autistic Youngsters). It was a big gym filled with a lot of different playground like toys. There were about 5 other kids in there with him, and what it did was give the therapists a chance to get Cohen to engage play with other kids. We didn't watch him because we went into another room with a few other parents and a social worker and talked. It was nice to hear that I'm not alone, and that I'm not crazy. All of the kids there acted just like Cohen and a lot of the parent's had the same frustrations that I do, so it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who gets SUPER frustrated all the time. It was also nice to hear that I'm not the only one who has mourned this whole thing. It's hard. It's been hard to not hear his little voice, it's been hard to see him off by himself not interacting with other kids, it's been hard to think that for the rest of his life he will have difficulty in just about everything he does, that the littlest thing can set him off and trying to figure out what it is is like trying to solve the hardest puzzle ever.

They have a neat library there that is filled with all sorts of books on every type of neurological disorder you could think of. You can bet I'm going to be in there checking out what I can. They even had a book on Hydrocephalus that I'm very interested in reading. It will be nice to have that resource helpful when we find out where Cohen falls in regards to the spectrum, which will be on the 26th.

1 comment:

Janita said...

Hi Monique! I hope you don't mind that I can across your blog. I'm sorry to hear about all you and Mitch have been going through with your sweet kids. I was hoping to make it to the blessing but I wasn't quite up to it. I have a blog at http://janitacoombs.blogspot.com/ but I'm not very good at updating it and I pretty much just post pictures.