Monday, October 20, 2008

Our ADOS Update.

Sorry to leave you all wondering. We went on Thursday to get Cohen's final part of his diagnosis and it was so mind boggling, I really just don't know how to explain it. They score him on a few different things and give him a "final score". He's a 15 out of 24 with the cut-off being 12. So what you or I would normally think is, Oh, he's mildly autistic right? I guess that isn't how it works. See, his communication is mildly autistic (which was weird to me when the kid is just barely talking), but his social-emotional is considered severely autistic. That part didn't surprise me in the least. So he's all over the spectrum, hence the term autism spectrum disorder or ASD.

Anyway, they told me that he could go on to lead a normal life, just be "quirky". I think they meant that as a comfort to me, but still, I don't want the other kids in class (when he goes to school) to walk away going..That is one weird kid. They said, he just might prefer being alone the rest of his life, which is okay with me as long as it doesn't affect his self-esteem. I know I'm not wording this right, but I really don't know how to express how I feel about this whole thing.

So the new thing he's going through is called echolalia. It's where he will sometimes just sit there and repeat the same thing, over and over and over and over again. We were in Joann's and he saw Buzz Lightyear (loves him) and he repeated "Mommy Buzz" for the next 45 minutes. I finally had to just hurry and buy my stuff because it's drives you insane after a bit. He's still really violent with me and we are trying to work on that. I don't know why it's just with me though. He doesn't do it to Mitch and Cohen and I have always been extremely close. Who knows? Quirky.

1 comment:

Janita said...

I've been wondering what you found out. Is there anything special you have to do now?